Monday, August 23, 2010

First Day of Kindergarten

I knew this day would finally come, but I still was not ready for it. Fortunately Reagan was excited, but I was not quite ready to let my "baby" head off to an unfamiliar school full of unfamiliar people. Who would take care of him? Would he know how to buy his lunch? Will they protect him from peanuts and bullies??!
Reagan and I joined every other child and parent this morning as we trekked into his new school. We both did fine until we got into the room. Reagan was not clinging to me and did not seem upset, but he completely stopped talking and seemed to be in a trance. He sat at his little table (fortunately one of his friends, Margaret, was sitting at the same table). He did not say a word even when I told him good-bye. I tried to walk out backwards, taking mental pictures. Bad idea. That's when a developed a enormous lump in my throat and my eyes welled-up. I tried to hurry out of the school so I could go sit in my car and cry, but I bumped into a friend who gave me a giant hug and that just about put me over the edge. I scurried to my car and grabbed my Kleenex. Just as I was getting ready to let the dam burst, I looked around I noticed that I was surrounded by cars on all sides. I spent so much mental energy trying to get out of that place, I didn't get a chance to get my boo-hoo on. I have never been so happy to sit in traffic.
I am so proud of my little guy and I cannot wait to go pick him up in 30 minutes and hear all about his first day.

Rocking his school uniform.




Big Man on Campus

The trance!





1 comment:

Michael & Melissa said...

Oh Amy, can you believe they are in Kindergarten? He looks so big. I cried like a crazy person the night before and shed some more tears as I dropped him off. It's hard to watch them grow up. But, the joy on his face when I came to pick him up made it all a little easier!